When it comes to finding the perfect Halloween costume, children and parents alike are passionate about both the idea and the right look. This year, why not take a page from your favorite book? We love these awesome costumes (for you OR your child!) based on characters from well-known children’s books.
– Harold & the Purple Crayon. The person who thought of this costume deserves major creativity points! We love this fun home-made costume idea, perfect for more than one person and for those with a baby.
– If You Give a Mouse a Cookie. Talk about simple, this one wins hands-down! One person is a mouse and one a cookie, it’s easy and will garner laughs all around once people realize what the costume is all about! Perfect for two young siblings.
– Where the Wild Things Are. A childhood favorite, this costume is so popular even Pottery Barn features it (for those of you who don’t do home-made). But it is possible to do it yourself, and what kid wouldn’t love to stomp around and roar a terrible roar and gnash some terrible teeth all evening?
– Where’s Waldo. Another easy one to throw together using items from around the house. Simple striped shirt and hat, camera around the neck and done! If you don’t have a striped shirt, just go with red and use felt stripes.
– Little Critter. This beloved character is surprisingly hard to find in the online costume world. One mom did an awesome job, and we would love to see more critters running around. Some yarn for the hair and denim overalls and you’ve got an adorable little critter costume.
– Dr. Seuss. There are several cute Dr. Seuss ideas, including Thing 1 and Thing 2, the Cat in the Hat and the Lorax. Do an online search for homemade ideas or there are several options for purchasing if you don’t have the time to do it yourself.
– The Berenstain Bears. Who doesn’t love this family of bears who are constantly teaching us new lessons about giving, health and proper behavior? Get your entire family involved in these costumes, which can easily be thrown together with some thrift shop items and creativity.