If you’re a homeschooling parent, thanks for visiting! We know many of our books and kits are used by homeschoolers due to the hands-on, engaging format we specialize in. In 2015 we have several new products we’re excited to introduce to you!
Math, Science & History Books for Homeschooling
Earth Lab series
- Take a fantastic journey into outer space with Earth Lab: Solar System. The informative text and full-color photographs highlight the structure and key features of each planet, as well as distant galaxies and constellations. Also included: cardstock pieces to build models of the Sun and planets, glow-in-the-dark stars, and a solar system poster with stickers for kids to turn their rooms into their own outer space adventure!
- Earth Lab World Atlas takes children around the globe to discover our planet’s rich diversity of cultures, wildlife, and natural beauty. Detailed maps of every continent highlight key landmarks and geographical features, and informative text provides fascinating details about the countries, animals, and famous places found in each region. When young explorers have finished learning about the wonders of our world, they can decorate their rooms with the included models of three famous landmarks, an inflatable globe, and a world map poster with stickers.
Written in partnership with the world-renowned Smithsonian Institution.
Curious minds find hundreds of fascinating facts in Smithsonian Everything You Need to Know: Grades K-1 and Smithsonian Everything You Need to Know: Grades 2-3. The flip-top boxes are packed with 275 fact cards covering categories such as Earth and space, plants and animals, geography, history, and health. Whether it’s the number of teeth in a great white shark’s mouth or how a rainbow forms, kids will learn a variety of information in a tactile and engaging manner. Each flip of a card not only showcases beautiful color photographs and illustrations paired with a fact, but also presents a new learning moment.
Journey across the country with the Smithsonian and learn all about what makes our nation so great with Smithsonian Young Explorers: 50 States. This alphabetically arranged compendium of state trivia contains information on state birds, animals, and flowers, famous state residents, and a gaggle of fun facts. Once kids 6 and up have become experts on Alabama through Wyoming, they can have more fun assembling the included 130-piece puzzle of the United States. And once kids are ready to see the states themselves, the book, puzzle, and map all tuck neatly into a snap-shut suitcase, ready to hit the road. Dinosaur and Oceans versions are also available.
With Smithsonian Discover: Earth, kids can take a tour of Earth’s fiery core, scale Mount Everest, scuba-dive in the Great Barrier Reef, and hunker down during a hurricane, all without ever leaving the safety of their living rooms. A must-have for any kid who calls Earth home, this engaging book contains three sections: Amazing Earth (all about the inside and outside of the planet), the Blue Planet (covering awesome oceans, raging rivers, and great lakes), and Wild Weather (which explains the science of weather and goes inside natural disasters). This engaging title also delivers hands-on activities like you would find at the Smithsonian. Bound right into the book are 12 Earth fact cards, a large double-sided map of the world, and materials to construct a three-dimensional paper globe. Smithsonian Discover: Space and Smithsonian Discover: Flight are also available.
Field Guide To… Series
Our Field Guide series offers kids grades 3+ the adventure of a lifetime as they explore our world. New in 2015, join the adventure of a lifetime as you explore the Amazon Rain Forest! Follow the trail of the jungle’s most magnificent creatures, including silent jaguars, leaping monkeys, and pink river dolphins in The Field Guide to Rain Forest Animals. Learn the difference between New World and Old World monkeys, how to detect the presence of a Dwarf Caiman crocodile, and why Vampire Bats can walk and run. This unique interactive journal is filled with photographs, maps, and detailed illustrations of eight interesting jungle animals. At the end of this book kids can continue the adventure by assembling their animals amidst a colorful diorama for their own museum-ready display! Also available: The Field Guide to Dinosaurs and The Field Guide to Ocean Animals.
Build The… Series
Visual and kinesthetic learning combine in the Build It series from Silver Dolphin. Each fact-filled title includes a 32-page informative book and pieces to construct a two-and-a-half foot model of the given subject. These unique interactive guides cover everything from the human body and dinosaurs to sharks and rockets. Don’t just read about it–build it!
Skill Sharpeners Series
- Skill Sharpeners Math and Phonics Fun: Kindergarten is the smart way to sharpen the minds of kindergarteners. The concepts in these activity books are taken from several key points in the Common Core State Standards for kindergarten and are a fun way to build confidence and skills in shapes, colors and patterns, number recognition, addition, the alphabet, sight words, rhyming, and beginning letter sounds. Along with a phonics book and a math book, this kit includes a 12-page parent guide, 36 pattern blocks, 20 two-piece puzzle cards, four double-sided bingo cards, a double-sided game spinner, 36 game markers, and 24 farm animal counters.
- Skill Sharpeners Math and Phonics Fun: Grade 1. Simply by playing, children can build skills in addition, subtraction, story problems, measurement, telling time, long and short vowels, nouns and verbs, and reading comprehension. Skill Sharpeners Math and Phonics Fun is a smart way to sharpen the minds of first-graders, helping young learners strengthen many basic skills and concepts while having fun and building confidence. The concepts in these activity books are taken from several key points in the Common Core State Standards for the first grade.
- Skill Sharpeners Math and Phonics Fun: Grade 2 will be coming later this year!
We offer products to suite many interests and learning needs for children preschool-aged through twelve years old. Check out our full Spring 2015 offerings. We’re looking forward to bringing these activities and more into your home this year.