We’ve got 12 awesome crafts to try with your kids before the end of summer! Inspired by the beach, tasty summer food, and other summer wonderfulness, these crafts are lots of fun, and many can be made with items you already have around the house. Enjoy!
1. Ice Cream Cone Garland
- Sheets of paper for the cone (cut into 5” x 5” squares)
- Assorted colored tissue paper
- Twine, yarn, or ribbon (at least 24”)
- Hole puncher
- Roll the paper into cone shapes and tape along the seam.
- Punch holes on opposite sides of the cones about an inch from the top edge.
- String the twine through the cones leaving enough twine at both ends to hang on your wall or mantle.
- Roll tissue paper up into generous baseball-sized scoops of yummy ice cream and place at the top of your cone. Use glue to hold in place.
- Top your cones with cherries by rolling red tissue paper into tiny balls or using red pom-poms. Affix with glue.
- Use your colorful garland to decorate any space! These treats are good in any weather and won’t melt!
2. Thumbprint Fireflies
- Construction paper
- Yellow paint
- Black marker
- Draw a jar on the piece of construction paper. Use scissors to cut it out.
- Use black marker to draw an arced dotted line to create the bottom of the jar.
- Dip thumb in yellow paint and press on construction paper jar to create the bodies of the fireflies. Let dry.
- Cut foil for the lid of the jar and glue down. Add detail to the lid with black marker, including a rounded line to make the top of the lid look flat.
- Add wings, eyes, and travel lines to your fireflies with black marker.
3. Hot Air Balloon Craft
- 5 pieces of different colored paper
- Toilet paper roll
- Tape or glue
- String or ribbon
- Trace the shape of a hot air balloon onto one sheet of paper. Stack the 5 pieces of paper and cut around the shape.
- Fold the sheets of paper in half and glue each side to another paper to make it 3D.
- Cut your toilet paper roll in half and glue some dots or other designs on it. Feel free to use stickers or whatever you may have around the house!
- Tape two pieces of ribbon or string to the inside of the paper roll. Tape the other sides to the paper balloon. Tape another string to the top of the balloon so that you can hang it wherever you want!
4. Popsicle Stick Sun
- 3 popsicle sticks
- Yellow paint
- Yellow construction paper
- Paint the popsicle sticks with yellow paint. Set aside and let dry.
- Cut a circle out of the yellow construction paper.
- Draw a face on your sun.
- Arrange your popsicle sticks to look like sun rays. Glue to keep in place.
- Glue the face of the sun to the center of the popsicle sticks.
5. Paper Plate Jellyfish
- Paper plate
- Different colored sheets of tissue paper
- Paint or markers
- Googly eyes (optional)
- Tape or glue
- Cut a paper plate in half
- Cut multiple long strips of different colored tissue paper—ribbon works too!
- Tape or glue the strips of paper to the bottom of the paper plate.
- Paint the outside of the paper plate however you please! Feel free to add glitter or jewels here if you want a sparkly jellyfish. You can also add googly eyes—or draw on your own with paint or a marker!
Adorably fun craft for those who love camping (or staying home and eating s’mores in the backyard)!
Bright and cheery, this delicious summer fruit craft looks amazing hanging in the window.
Super cute—and the perfect way to use up all the scrap paper you’ve been saving!
A fun project for kids heading home from summer camp!
10. Tide Pool Craft
Kids will love adding real sand to this craft.
Collect paper, ribbon, beads, and other craft materials to make these festive popsicles!
Kids will be ready for an ‘under-the-sea’ puppet show after finishing up this craft!